Margaret Maclean, a member of the School Reform Initiative, presented a weekend workshop at Brent International School Subic last August 27-28, 2016. In this two day workshop, 26 faculty & staff members at BISS explored the various research-based protocol models used to foster a school culture of collaboration and reflective practice. The faculty took part in facilitating and participating in group protocols.
The first day of the workshop focused on establishing agreements, getting to know each participant's collaboration style and looking at feedback as a means to encourage and support professional growth. It also highlighted the differences between collaboration, congeniality and collegiality.
The second day of the workshop focused on practicing the use of several protocols by examining student and adult work collaboratively. It also gave a clear , practical plan in leading or participating in a professional group.
1. SRI Protocol Manual - 3 Copies available in the media center.
2. PPT PRESENTATION available here
- "It was great. It was practical and engaging. We were active learners all of the time."
- "It is extremely relevant because it addresses the 'front end of teaching'; the 'how to do it' part of teaching. Using structures for collaboration in the classroom is relevant because of the 'people skills' that it employs. If we use these in our peer interactions as well, our end product will be enhanced."
- "I got to reflect and learn more and have an in depth knowledge about listening and learning to be more responsible especially in such a short time"
- "Margaret kept us very engaged. Excellent workshop in that respect. I never felt a lag, or drag on our time. It was challenging because it introduced concepts that were new, as well as useful!"
- "I not only learned some theory, but got to practice it with real issues concerning my teaching and the teaching of my colleagues."
- "it helped me very much in understanding how people think and work within a group. It reminded me listen more and withhold judgement when people are speaking. "
- "The big ideas were the terms "congeniality" and "collegiality and how different the two are and yet they are something we need in the school workplace environment."
- "Collaboration is best done with specific working agreements and structured protocols in place. These ensure that time is maximized and that the correct mindset is maintained by all involved. "